simple is beautiful
Fluo Kids: No offence Intended
2 ... 2 ...

Thursday, June 1, 2006

No offence Intended


pic: Anna @ Yoyomofo

So, I haven’t quite been earning that little “(Fluokids)” next to my name on MySpace lately, but I’ve been too busy not earning any money. I have been sitting on one particular song since the beginning of April, and in the course of the last 2 months, I have watched the little known New Cross kids, who make indie renditions of old skool rave tunes (could they be any more art-school contrived?), hit the I-D big time. To be honest, I could hardly care less whether or not Klaxons are the saviours of dance music, the pin-ups of the nu-rave generation or Trash hall-of-famers. But the Nightmoves vocal remix, which I have heard everybody from over-dressed Vice Pub residents to Simian Mobile Disco playing recently, is something which I have found hard to get out of my head. It might just be the exaggerated level of enthusiasm with which my friend Tom first described the song to me, but the period of sitting on my hands has been painful, and it’s about time I put this song out there for all to enjoy. Just make sure you support these kids, and hunt down the vinyl, we wouldn’t want to offend any one now, would we?

Klaxons- Gravity’s Rainbow (Nightmoves Vocal)

** Sorry, somebody took offence! Apologies to Nightmoves.**

Another recent find are Does It Offend You, Yeah? Another act for which it is hard to separate the self-perpetuated hype, and the true potential, these guys are true graduates of the Damon Dash school of self-promotion. Their Myspace top 8, 16, whatever, references all of the right movers and shakers of the French touch scene they look to imitate, and their imagery sets outs to shock or at least amuse enough to leave an indelible reminder of their music in your mind. And let’s face it, it’s all about the music when it comes down to it. If the first impressions are anything to go by, these guys could go either way- They could become the British Justice, or, God forbid, Audio Bully-alike also-rans. I will reserve judgement for now, but I’ll say this much- If they can continue to make wig-out grindcore as destructive and deft as “We Are Rockstars”, then the future may be looking bleak for those of a Mary Whtehouse-like nervous disposition.

Does It Offend You, Yeah?- We Are Rockstars

0 comments:

Post a Comment