simple is beautiful
Fluo Kids: Smile
2 ... 2 ...

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Smile


pic: LastNightsParty

The mildest of winter evenings, the laziest of days. What better time to post the hard work and creativity of friends. These tracks just might be your new best friends too.

First things first, it's another Teenagers remix. But with a difference! No Quentin, no annoying distortion and a bassline which sounds suspiciously organic to me. When I'm drunk, I tend to mistake this for 'Monkeypuss' by Maurica 'Syclops' Fulton, and there's no better inadvertent commendation than that! I'd post that too, but no doubt you've already bought it or been sent it in the post. If not, BUY IT!... Any way, Durrr and Say Yes resident Mr Phillips has done a rather good job of this one, and we look forward to hearing more of the same.

The Teenagers - Starlett Johanssen (rory philips dub)

Incidentally, I have never been the greatest admierer of Scarlett Johanssen. The story about her and Benicio Del Toro in the elevator was akin to being told that your friend had spent the day sitting on the Snickers he so kindly gave you, five minutes ago. I am indeed a fan of Late Of The Pier though, they're the real thing! They come with an affectation free guarantee. Don't not buy their forthcoming album, it's genius. It may be a little early to say whether or not the work of Tomboy and Fredski under their new 'Cereale' moniker is genius, but the three tracks I have heard thus far have been three home runs. I'm so glad to finally find a LOTP remix that works for me, that I'm willing to ignore that it's slightly off key. This aperitif should clear your palate sufficiently for the full 'Tartelet".

Late Of The Pier - Bathroom Gurgle (Tomski and Fredboy Remix)

On the subject of bands, yes BANDS, I feel it necessary to add to the hype of a band that is receiving more than enough right now. MGMT lead a wave of hopelessly funky American bands that are making hips smile right now. Along with Neon Neon, The Mae Shi and gazillions more, MGMT are inducing an early summer to make up for last year's non-event! This is Electric Feel. You'll love it!

MGMT - Electric Feel

In case you thought I was going to go a whole post without posting a banger, then you're very much mistaken young lady. Mdfield General may be old enough to be your older brother, but boy has he still got it. He'll be spinning (quite literally) at the next Blogger's Delight on March 2nd alongside Yuksek, Biy 8 Bit, Skull Juice, Casper C and Stopmakingme, so he must be cool, right? I'm posting D.I.M's remix in 320kbps glory here, which means you're allowed to DJ it out. So what are you waiting for?

Midfield General - Disco Sirens (D.I.M Remix , Thomas Von Party Edit)

You might notice that Mr Von Party of Turbo fame also waded in with editing duties on that track. He's touring the UK in early March alongside our beloved Matt Walsh, who is making some of the most authentic sounding acid house this side of 1988 right now under his 'Clouded Vision' moniker. I can smell a re-revolution in the air!

As far as re-re-re-re-revolutions go, it would be rude to mark my Fluokids comeback without some kind of a nod to the ripple that Hercules and Love Affair are causing. Under the choirboy like grip of disco, nobody can even remember their sexuality any more! I like to think of Mr Fluokids as a well-adjusted, laissez-fair kind of guy, so I feel no shame in posting this after hours throbber. It's been around for a while, and even posted on our friends Palms Out Sounds, but I feel even less shame in following in their footsteps, as they did steal the name of my night after all!

Chaz Jankel - Get Myself Together (HercHouse Remix)

Equally intrinsic to whatever scene they might feel they are a part of are Dissident records. I can;t find a website, they only print 200 copies of each record and I'd rather not link you by email directly, but trust me, they;re worth tracking down. I put a blindfolded pin into their back catalogue just now, and decided to post this nouveau electroclash banger by Ali Renault, one half of Heartbreak who you will soon be hearing a lot about.

Ali Renault - Zombie Raffle

Last, and not neccessarily least, I'd like to introduce you to two boys from London who have done something that very few people manage to do to a jaded old blogger such as myself. They managed to SURPRISE me by sending a GOOD track by MYSPACE! Now, on the face of it, an electro-cum-trance-cum-bassline track doesn;t have all of the hallmarks of a great track, and although this track wouldn;t be harmed by a little touch up hereand there, there's something about the surprising depth in bass when it drops that never ceases to make me grin. And when it comes down to it, that's what it's all about really.

Joe And Will Ask - Single

0 comments:

Post a Comment